you are here: home > Local Tourism
Tara House Accommodation, An Ideal Location
Tara House Accommodation is situated in an excellent location for visiting the surrounding historical heritage sites.
Hill of Tara
Probably best known as the seat of the Ancient High Kings of Ireland, the Hill of Tara has been an important historical site since the late Stone Age when a passage-tomb was constructed there.
Although no buildings survive, there are a number of large earthworks still remaining on the hill and in the centre of the Royal Seat stands a pillarstone which is believed to be the Lia Fáil (stone of Destiny) or Coronation Stone.
Attractions include an audio-visual show and guided tours of the site.
Trim Castle is an Anglo-Norman castle constructed by Hugh de Lacy and his son Walter.
In 1172, Hugh de Lacy was granted the Kingdom of Meath by King Henry II of England to curb the expansionist policies of Richard de Clare (Strongbow).
He chose Trim as his capital and set about building the largest Norman castle in Ireland at a commanding location by the banks of the nearby Boyne river.
The castle was protected by a ditch, long curtain walls and a moat. Inside a three storey building were housed living quarters, the Great Hall and a small chapel. A second chapel and a Royal Mint were also to be found in the castleyard.
More recently, Trim Castle played a prominent role in the Mel Gibson movie 'Braveheart' as the castle is well preserved. Well worth a visit for Tara House visitors as Trim is only several miles away!
Newgrange (Brú na Bóinne)
The Brú na Bóinne visitor centre interprets the Neolithic monuments of Newgrange, Knowth and Dowth. Newgrange was constructed about 5,000 years ago and is a passage tomb. Newgrange, Knowth and Dowth are a UNESCO word heritage site.
High Cross & Round Tower of Kells
Kells High Cross, is an impressive 3.35 metres high and is situated outside the Heritage Centre in Kells town.
Battle of the Boyne, Oldbridge Estate
The Battle of the Boyne between King William III and his father-in-law, King James II, was fought on 1 July 1690 and involved over 60,000 men - the largest number of troops ever deployed on an Irish battlefield. At stake were the British throne, French dominance in Europe and religious power in Ireland.